I have genuinely been staring at a blank screen for about 20 minutes trying to work out what I actually want to say about Tribeca. I’ll be honest I’m still not entirely sure.
Here’s my problem – I didn’t like it, but I get why other people do……let me start at the beginning.
I have lots of friends who are really into food….like REALLY into food, when I ask people about TriBeCa about 75% say they don’t like it but the other 25% really love it. Being a big fan of trying things out for myself I decided to give it a go on Saturday morning with my parents and Mr G.
The decor is an odd mismatch of the classy cool vibe the Richmond had going and a cheap faux American dinner. The beautiful mirrors had been covered with pics of New York. The cool industrial lighting of the Richmond is still there along with the ‘R’ mosaic at the front door, but dotted around the walls are American style posters and licence plates. The seats were comfy and the tables were large enough for the massive plates, but the tables are so squashed in that I had to apologise to 4 tables on my way out as I bashed every single one of them over the back of the head….so embarrassing and a cardinal sin in restaurants in my opinion.
The staff were pleasant enough but slow. It took someone 10 minutes to come take our food order (there were only about 6 tables in) then our food took 40 minutes to arrive (yes FORTY!!) and then by the time we wanted the bill the restaurant was full and it was impossible to catch anyone’s eye to ask for it so we had to go to the counter to pay.
Here is where my real problem with TriBeCa comes in…..I had heard things about the pancakes being served out of the TriBeCa restaurants, but never one to believe stories or hype I decided to ask them directly so I could hear straight from the horse’s mouth. Now on the menu they are described as ‘Fresh Buttermilk Pancakes’ – I asked the waitress if they’re made fresh to order? The response – No, they’re reheated! My issue is this, they are not selling fresh pancakes they are selling reheated pancakes so I feel the menu is lying to me right off the bat.
As a result I won’t score the menu (as you can see in my pic above, my copy of the menu had seen better days!!) because they are not offering fresh pancakes and it is in fact being very loose with the truth which I have a pretty big problem with.
I ordered the breakfast 5 egg omelette which consisted of sausage, bacon, hash brown & ranch dressing with toast. I asked for the ranch dressing on the side. After the 40 minute wait it eventually appeared and the portions were MASSIVE! In the omelette were 2 cut up cheap pork sausage, I have zero issue with this because I quite like cheap pork sausages, 2 rashers of well cooked bacon and 2 frozen hash browns and this was served with 2 door stopper sized pieces of toast. The omelette was slightly over cooked which left it rubbery but it was alright and I could eat it again.
My ranch design never appeared, but I never realised this until after I was finished so while I never got it I never brought it to anyones attention either – easy mistake to make which I am sure would have been quickly rectified had I asked for it.
I take you back to start of the post, I can see why some people really love Tribeca – it’s all about quantity and style which a lot of people enjoy, the size of the portions were massive and it really sells into the American breakfast thing us Brits love. To be fair the food wasn’t awful so please don’t think it was, I actually have no strong feelings on the food I neither liked it or disliked it.
The pricing was okayish my omelette was about £9 I think, Pa Geek actually paid for breakfast so I never saw the bill but he said for 4 breakfasts and 5 drinks he paid about £45 – £50 which for the sheer volume of food was an okay price I feel.
Tribeca just seriously didn’t float my boat in the slightest..I’m with the 75% I’m afraid, I’d much rather visit The Drake, Left Bank, Stravaigin or Enjoy which are all within a minutes walk and all doing far better food.
Which sadly leaves me scoring TriBeCa a rather middle of the road 5/10
11 thoughts on “TriBeCa – Park Road” Leave a comment ›
You must log in to post a comment.